The Short-Term Missionary Training School | Missionary Mandate
Do you have a passion for serving the poor and sharing Jesus? Is your heart’s desire to become a missionary? Are you interested in letting God use you to show his love to hundreds of orphans in Africa? Do you want to take the gospel to unreached people groups? If so, the short term missionary training school is ready to equip you and provide placement for you on the mission field where you can accomplish your dreams of serving the poor and sharing Christ.
How to Choose a Short-Term Missionary Training School Program
The short term missionary training school prepares Christians for the mission field. If you are new to our short-term missionary training school and simply want to go and serve abroad for a few months or a few years, you need to take one of two foundational training programs: Compassion Missionaries or Revive Missionaries. You can see a description of each program below. Both programs use the same curriculum and are only different on the emphasis or focus. Any of them will prepare you well for the mission field.
A) Foundational Short-Term Missionary Training School Programs
Our foundational programs prepare students for entry-level missionary positions. The missionary training school offers the following entry-level programs for missionaries. These entry-level programs satisfy the requirements for missionary training to serve with Shaping Destiny or other missionary sending agencies.
1) Compassion Missionaries. These students go through the Compassion MTS which is one of our foundational programs designed to provide essential training for new missionaries. These Missionary Mandate students focus on serving the poor and then sharing Christ as they work. They serve orphans and share Christ with them in practical ways. This training program takes 3 months of intensive training at our Austin Campus before the students travel to Africa to serve as missionaries. Their service counts as a practical phase of the Missionary Training School.
2) Revive Missionaries. These students take the Revive MTS, a foundational program that is designed for new missionaries. The focus of the Revive MTS is on developing a passion to change the world and see the hearts of students revived to go out and be used by God to fulfill his purposes in the world. Students catch the fire and live radical lifestyles that glorify God as he uses them to change the world. This training program takes 3 months of intensive training at our Austin Campus before the students travel to Africa to serve as missionaries. Their service counts as a practical phase of the Missionary Training School.
3) Missional Discipleship. This track provides excellent discipleship training for students who don’t want to travel abroad but desire to use their gifts to transform the world in their community and work places. This program is a 3 month intensive program that takes place in Austin, Texas. An outreach phase is also provided in Austin, Texas.
B) Advanced Short-Term Missionary Training School Programs
1) Teaching Missionaries. These missionaries do the 1 yr Certificate in Biblical Studies at Glory Bible College. After finishing training, they are sent to go and teach & disciple orphans at our orphan bases. The missionaries also serve as teaching assistants at our short-term missionary training schools in Africa.
2) Global Missionaries. These students join our U.S. staff (Global Missionary Support Team) at our Austin headquarters. They do the 1 yr Certificate in Poverty Alleviation at Glory as they work with Shaping Destiny to provide support for orphans and missionaries abroad. These missionaries travel abroad for short visits when needed to go and support the local missionary work on the ground but their base is in Austin. The work that these missionaries do is crucial to the success of our organization. Without them, the orphans won’t have food to eat and other missionaries won’t be able to go and serve on the field. They are guaranteed to get full scholarship for training. Austin is the most secular city in Texas and so these missionaries get to be involved in the work God is doing through us in Austin to transform lives in Austin. Some students choose to serve in Austin for a few years before moving to serve on the ground overseas–that is an awesome route that is available.
3) Church Planting Missionaries. These students do a 1 yr certificate in Church Planting at Glory. As they plant churches, they usually also serve orphans in their community.
4) Orphanage Planting Missionaries. These missionaries do the 1 yr certificate program in orphan care & orphanage planting. They are trained and equipped to go and start and run their own orphanages. They are trained on everything from writing out the vision, making a business plan, registration or getting licenses or permits, fundraising to find sponsors, how to manage a successful orphanage, and how to disciple and equip the orphans.
The Short-Term Missionary Training School offers:
- Superb experiential training that equips students to excel on the mission field.
- Training from faculty with years of experience in missions and orphan care.
- An environment where the Holy Spirit inspires, grows, and transforms students.
- A faculty member that was one of your teachers travels with you to your mission field.
- The faculty member works with you for 1 or 2 weeks and answers all questions before he leaves.
- We maintain frequent communication with missionaries.
- Students work on one of our orphan bases with other local team members.
- If you prefer, you can pioneer your own base with our help.
- We can provide food and accommodation.
- We provide equipment and funding for the projects that the missionaries will be working on.
- We provide fundraising support to help students raise funds for other things they will need like tuition, air-ticket, etc.
- We give missionaries as much autonomy as they can handle.
- We treat missionaries like family, because they are!
- Missionaries can choose to work with us for one year or for as long as they want to serve.
- Talk about holding the students hand! That’s what we do!
Other Useful Short-Term Missionary Training School Information:
The Short-Term Missionary Training School has several start dates each year.
It requires at 3 months in Austin and the remaining training on mission field while working already.
Interested candidates can do the entire program in Austin before traveling.
The focus of the short missionary training school is on equipping Christians to send to Mission field.
The short term Missionary Training School tuition is $350/month for the 3 month Foundational Programs and $225/month for the 6 month Advanced Programs. Please note that Candidates from Africa, Asia or South American countries obtaining this training while residing in their respective countries will be eligible for lower fees due to differences in economies. Please contact us through email for additional details.
At least 1yr of commitment (both training & missionary service time combined) is recommended from people who get training from the short-term Missionary Training School
You pay your flight, visa, etc… will cost you $2500 to $3500. You don’t give the money to us.
Short-Term Missionary Training School applicants receive fundraising help and coaching.
Funds raised for program & trip are tax-deductible